When I first moved into my duplex, my friends threw me a "moving in party". They gave me towels, spices, canned goods, coffee...and a BIG bag of baking soda! I was SO excited! Everyone else at the party was puzzled why baking soda excited me so much. Truth be told, it can be used in place of SO MANY things. It's mind boggling how diversive baking soda can be! And no, Arm & Hammer didn't ask me to write this post. I just love them that much. ;)
So without further ado, here are my tips:
- Face Wash: You can easily replace face wash with baking soda. Simply rub equal parts of water & baking soda into your hands. Pat it into your skin, and let it soak for a few seconds. Rinse off, and you'll be amazed at how smooth your skin feels!
- Shampoo: You can replace shampoo with baking soda! I did this for YEARS (and still do it from time to time). It makes your hair super soft, shiny, and does a great job of removing oil. I use the same paste method used above and evenly rub through my hair.
- Toothpaste/Teeth Whitener: I love to mix baking soda & oral Peroxide to whiten my teeth. I know many people like to use just baking soda when brushing their teeth.
- Grease Remover: If you have a pan filled with yucky grease or burnt leftovers, let it soak in hot water & baking soda. Give it a few minutes, and it should come loose.
- Rash Soother: If you have rashes, or itchy skin, take a baking soda bath. It helps relieve bumps & itches!
- Laundry Detergent: If you read my post form yesterday, you know that it can be used to make homemade laundry detergent. However, in a pinch, straight baking soda can be used to wash your clothes. Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda & 1/2 Cup vinegar and add it to your cycles. Tip: Make sure your washing machine can handle that first!
- Best Sweet Tea: Did you know that smooth sweet tea can be made by adding baking soda? Yep. I think this is the WEIRDEST trick ever, but I tried it and it works. For a gallon of tea, add just a PINCH of baking soda. I'm talking 1/16 of a teaspoon or less.
- Carpet Cleaner: If your carpet is looking dingy & stinky, sprinkle baking soda around. Vacuum away and voila!
- Drain Cleaner: Have stinky drains? Pour baking soda down the drain & run hot water for a few seconds. It should help ease the smells & help clean at the same time.
What are your favorite baking soda tricks?